First Fort Built On The Washita
The first fort built on the Washita River was one at the mouth of the Washita by General Leavenworth in 1834. But this had been such a disastrous place for the soldiers, (malaria), that it was not occupied very long. The Chickasaws were begging for protection from the wild plains tribes, and in answer to their cry, General Taylor departed from Fort Gibson in September 1841, to locate a camp among them. This camp was finally located April 3, 1843, about twenty-two miles above the mouth of the Washita. It was occupied immediately by two companies of Dragoons. Major Fontleroy was placed in command. This post was called Ft. Washita.
Another fort on the Washita that was to see considerable service was that known as Fort Arbuckle, founded April 19, 1851, and named for General Arbuckle who had succeeded to the command of all the forces of the Southwest on the death of General Leavenworth in 1834. General Arbuckle had died June 11, 1851, and the fort was officially named for him June 25, 1851.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://etypeservices.com/Sulphur%20Times-DemocratID173/