The Origin Of Sulphur, OK
Sulphur, the county seat of Murray County, is situated at the intersection of U.S. Highway 177 and State Highway 7, eighty-four miles southeast of Oklahoma City.
Even before the town’s founding, the Sulphur vicinity was known for its mineral springs. In 1878 Noah Lael, son-in-law of former Chickasaw Gov. Cyrus Harris, established a ranch south of Pavilion Springs. His house was Sulphur’s first residence. Lael sold the ranch to Perry Froman, an intermarried Chickasaw, in 1882.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://etypeservices.com/Sulphur%20Times-DemocratID173/