The Origin of Sulphur, OK
Sulphur, the county seat of Murray County, is situated at the intersection of U.S. Highway 177 and State Highway 7, eighty-four miles southeast of Oklahoma City.
Even before the town’s founding the Sulphur vicinity was known for its mineral springs. In 1878 Noah Lael, son-in-law of former Chickasaw Gov. Cyrus Harris, established a ranch south of Pavilion Springs. His house was Sulphur’s first residence. Lael sold the ranch to Perry Froman, an intermarried Chickasaw, in 1882.
Sulphur developed in the early 1890s when conventions and gatherings were held at the springs.
Around 1890 fishermen built a clubhouse there. They enlarged and sold the building as a hotel. Richard A. Sneed, a lawyer and farmer and future Oklahoma secretary of state and state treasurer, visited the area circa 1890 and afterward organized the Sulphur Springs Company.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://etypeservices.com/Sulphur%20Times-DemocratID173/