Projects of the 808th - Part 2
Editor’s Note: This is the second of a two-part series detailing the projects of Civilian Conservation Corps in Platt National Park.
One of the first projects undertaken by the CCC was the improvement of Flower Park. In April of 1934, the main entrance of the Park on Highway 18 (now U.S. 177) had a beautiful curved rock entry built. In the center of each rock wall was a bubbling fountain where water ran down the wall into a catch basin. The water came from nearby sulphur well.
A new comfort station was built in 1934 in Flower Park using the new theme of the National Park Service. It was determined by the NPS that in order to have some continuity from park to park, all buildings would have a “rustic style” boulder and beam appearance.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://etypeservices.com/Sulphur%20Times-DemocratID173/